What is product rendering and how can it be used in product design and marketing?
Product rendering is the process of creating visualizations of a product using specialized software. It enables the creation of realistic and persuasive product visualizations before the physical product is created, which saves time and costs. Product rendering is extremely useful in product design and marketing because it allows for accurate presentations of the product in various versions, in the context of a specific environment or usage situation, increasing its appeal to customers. In this article, we will discuss what product rendering is, its advantages, the industries in which it is used, and the benefits it can bring to product design and effective marketing campaigns.
First of all, let's start by explaining a few key terms:
Visualization: is the general term for graphic methods of creating, analyzing, and conveying information. People use it to exchange abstract ideas and communicate messages that are grounded in reality. Nowadays, visualization influences the way scientific research is conducted, is routinely used in technical fields and medicine, serves educational purposes, and can also be understood as a means of artistic expression. In the design language used by designers, visualization refers to a computer-generated image or one produced using manual techniques (such as design sketching), but currently, the main technique for conveying ideas in design is through the use of computer programs.
Rendering: is the graphic representation of digitally encoded content in a format appropriate for a particular environment, for example, displaying a web page coded in HTML. The part of a computer program responsible for rendering is called the rendering engine, rendering software, or renderer.
In the design or visual language, rendering refers to an image generated by a computer using computer programs. Depending on the need, many different programs are used. For photorealistic visualizations of products, furniture, and interiors, programs such as 3ds Max with rendering engines like Vray or Corona are used. Other programs used for generating photorealistic renderings include Blender or Cinema 4D. For design purposes, where realism is less important, and the most crucial aspect is showing the technical aspects of the product, programs like Rhino, Keyshot, or even SolidWorks are used. Other programs are used for preparing graphics for computer games or special effects in movies.
In everyday language, the terms visualization and rendering are often used interchangeably because their meaning in marketing and design is similar.
Rendering and visualization have many applications and can be used by many teams in various companies.
- Designers and design teams use rendering and visualization techniques to present their project ideas as clearly and comprehensively as possible to clients, manufacturers, or technologists. Depending on the program used, visualizations can be technical or realistic.
- Research and development departments use visualizations for communication purposes within the company, such as presenting work progress to other departments or communicating with subcontractors and technical departments.
- Marketing and PR departments most often use visualizations for direct and indirect customer contact. Creating visualizations is currently the main tool for building content used in catalogues, publications, newsletters, or on social media platforms. The possibilities of computer visualization and rendering allow for their use in practically all media, and the type of representation depends only on the creativity of the team.
Types of visualizations
Some of the types of visualizations used include:
- Product presentation in the form of static renderings within an interior space involves showcasing the product in the best light within different interiors. This is often used by furniture manufacturers, designers, and other product manufacturers.
- Product animations within interiors or arrangements are moving images that designers and marketers use to present the product in a very realistic and animated way. Animations often show the product's features and functionality.
- Photorealistic interior renderings are used by architects, interior designers, and construction and finishing companies.
- Animated interior renderings are moving images and videos that present the interior, often using a walk-through animation that simulates walking through the room. The animation often also uses moving elements such as splashing water or wind movement to bring the presented spaces to life.
- Photorealistic exterior building and landscape renderings are used by developers, construction companies, urban planners, space designers, and authorities and organizations responsible for space management.
- An exploded view is a type of visualization that presents the product in an exploded and divided into its components. This is often used by designers, engineers, and technologists for better project communication.
- A packshot is a visualization of a product on a white or transparent background, presenting the product's merits without embellishments. This is often used by sales and marketing teams to honestly present the offered product. Packshots are also very popular in e-commerce, where they are part of online stores.
What the final rendering looks like depends on the creativity and style of the person or team producing it. It's always worth starting work on a rendering with inspiration and mood boards, which allow you to determine the visual character of the future visualization.
Due to the fact that the entire visualization is created by 3D artists from scratch in a program, the style and type of representation can easily be adjusted to the needs and visual language, whether the visualization is to be minimalist, expressive, or whether the background style for the presented product is to be in Scandinavian, futuristic, contemporary, mid-century modern style - nothing stands in the way. Unlike time-consuming preparations for photo sessions, here every interior or outdoor landscape of any size is created on a computer, without generating costs, without the risk of damaging the product, and with unlimited editing and correction possibilities. Also, the presented product itself is created from scratch in a 3D program, which allows for corrections and edits to be made so that the product presented in the visualization accurately reflects reality.
At Studio Politowicz, we have been creating computer graphics for many years. Our experience allows us to work for top Polish furniture brands, as well as many other brands recognized for their high-quality design. We also work for cosmetic brands, lighting companies and developers, and collaborate with interior designers and architects.